FORUM FOR AFRICAN WOMEN EDUCATIONALISTS (FAWE) UGANDA CHAPTER STUDENT SAFETY MEASURES TO COMBAT THE SPREAD OF CORONA VIRUS
On 2nd March, 2020 the Government of Uganda announced the outbreak of the Corona Virus (COVID – 19) pandemic in Uganda. To date, 44 positive cases have been reported in Uganda and thousands in infections and deaths globally. This pandemic is highly contagious and deadly, requiring personal responsibility and action from all of us to stay safe.
In order, to control further spread, and impact on each of us, our families, communities and country, we call upon all of you to hid to the preventive guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the national measures passed by the Government of Uganda.
Below is what we all need to do to stay safe;
- Wash your hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- AVOID hand-shaking and hugging at all times
- Cover your mouth and nose with tissue when coughing and sneezing. Throw away the used tissue immediately into a dustbin or burn it and wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Do NOT spit in public. Find a secluded place like toilets or pit latrines in which to spit in.
- Maintain a reasonable distance between yourself and someone who is coughing or sneezing (at least 1 meter apart)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Hands touch many surfaces which can be contaminated with the virus and you can transfer the virus from the surface to yourself
- lf you have fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, seek medical care immediately.
- People with flu-like symptoms should use face masks to cover the nose and mouth and stay home in a well-ventilated room
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as door knobs/handles, car doors, tables, elevator buttons etc daily with regular household disinfectant or soap.
- Delay your travel to any country right now. If you MUST travel, please follow the above protective measures!
You are advised to report any suspected cases to the nearest health facilities or call the Ministry of Health toll-free lines on 0800-203-033 and 0800-100-066, and the following officers – Mr. Atek Kagirita- 0782 909153, Dr. Altan Muruta-0772 460297 and Dr. Opar Benard 0772 469323
For general inquiries, please contact FAWE Uganda on e-mail email@example.com, and telephone on +256 773 331740.